I am happy that as Americans we have the right to bear arms. I also know that our American government wants to make legislation to keep us honest law-abiding citizens from possessing any type of firearm. I am grateful that we have some in office fighting on behalf of us law abiding citizens who choose to own firearms and the right to carry them on our person but I’m going to go out on a limb here and say maybe this piece of legislation doesn’t need to pass.
Here is an article from Colin Harris, professor of religious studies at Mercer University and a member of Smoke Rise Baptist Church in Stone Mountain, Ga.:
Proposed “bring your guns to church” legislation, now on the floor in a couple of states, suggestsbringing firearms into houses of faith is sure to become a national craze…
Maybe it’ll be called Shoot Straight for Jesus Ministries Ltd. For a modest initial contribution, the enterprising franchisee would have access and exclusive sales rights to a variety of products sure to be embraced by high caliber churches.
Potential franchisees wanting to partner with others and be “duelly aligned” would also beencouraged to apply.
Examples of their product lines would include:
1. “Thy Word Have I Hid Over My Heart” steel-plated, vest-pocket New Testament. Designed to protect this vital organ from damage by enemy fire or accidental friendly fire. Vest itself sold separately.
2. “Put My Law Within Them” Bible bullets. Each bullet engraved with Leviticus 20:13, fulfilling what was spoken by the prophet (Jeremiah 31:33). Guaranteed to make recipient “know the Lord” up close and personal.
3. Pew Rack Adapter Kit. Fits existing hymnal and visitor card holder. Keep your “protection” within reach at all times during the service.
4. WHWJP (What Heat Would Jesus Pack?) bracelets. Includes space for church logo or celebrity endorsements (ask about details).
5. “Sitting Duck” Kevlar pulpit and choir robes. For those most exposed in the sanctuary arena