Desiring God gives 12 ways to glorify God at work.
Mark Twain once said, “Work is a necessary evil to be avoided.” Although there may be days when we feel like he got it right, we know God has ordained work as a stewardship of his created world (Genesis 1:28; 2:15). He has designed work for his glory and our good. But how might we glorify God at work? This list is not exhaustive, but here’s at least 12 ways —
1. Believe that all legitimate work is holy or unholy before God based on our faith, not the nature of the work itself.
2. Be just and honest in all your dealings with money.
3. Be prayerfully dependent upon God, pouring contempt on self-sufficiency.
4. Use the wages earned by your work to provide for and bless others.
5. Grow in your skill-set, work hard, and strive for excellence.
6. Exemplify love for your neighbor in how you interact with your colleagues.
7. Plan ahead and sincerely preface future tasks with “if God wills.”
8. Speak the gospel to your colleagues.
9. Work as unto the Lord and as unto men.
10. Focus on the work you’ve been given.
11. Speak words of grace.
12. Rest in your justification by faith alone in Christ alone.
HT: Vitamin Z